What is the Indirect Coombs test?
The Indirect Coombs test (ICT) is also called the indirect antiglobulin test (IAT). It is performed to identify the presence or absence of antibodies in the blood directed against antigens found on red blood cells.
When is the Indirect Coombs test (ICT)recommended?
- To determine if haemolytic anaemia is caused by an autoimmune disorder.
- To determine the risk of incompatibility between the mother and foetus, before the pregnancy and during the pregnancy.
- Before receiving a blood transfusion or blood component transfusion to determine compatibility with donated blood.
- At the time of donating blood, tissue, organ, or bone marrow, or while getting registered as a potential donor.
What does it measure?
- For antibodies that are attached to the surface of your red blood cells (RBCs).
- The Indirect Coombs test (ICT) is performed on the principle of the antigen and antibody reaction between the incompatible blood groups. The collected blood sample is treated with a large range of collected or synthetic human RBC antigens and observed under the microscope.
- These antibodies are naturally produced against incompatible RBC antigens when there is exposure to incompatible red blood cells. There are three common antigen markers found in RBCs: A, B, and Rh. The presence or absence of these antigen markers is used to detect the blood group of a person.
- If the agglutination (clumping) of RBCs is seen upon treatment with a particular antigen, or antibodies against that antigen are already present in the blood specimen.
- A similar test is called the direct Coombs test, and it is performed to detect the presence of antibodies (bound to RBCs) against the body’s RBCs (autoimmune antibodies) that may also be the cause of autoimmune haemolytic anaemia.
How long will the reports take?
You will get the reports within 6 hours after the collection of the blood sample.
What is the cost of the Indirect Coombs test (ICT) in Mumbai?
The cost of the Indirect Coombs test (ICT) in Mumbai is Rs. 670.
How often should I get tested for the Indirect Coombs test?
The Indirect Coombs test is prescribed by your doctor after completing the assessment of your condition.
What are the normal values of the Indirect Coombs test?
Positive / Negative
What is the type of sample required?
This test requires a blood sample.
What time should I get the test done?
This test can be taken at any time during the day.
Is fasting required for an Indirect Coombs test?
Fasting is not required for this test.
Any other precautions to be taken before getting myself tested for an Indirect Coombs test?
There are no specific precautions for this test.
How can I book an Indirect Coombs test in Mumbai?
Log into www.orangehealth.in and submit your details. Our highly trained, professional, and vaccinated eMedics will be at your doorstep within 60 minutes or at the time booked by you.
Why should I book an Indirect Coombs test with Orange Health Labs in Mumbai?
Orange Health Labs is the fastest diagnostic lab. With us, you can get tested at home within 60 minutes of placing an order anywhere in Mumbai. Our trained, professional, and vaccinated e Medic will be at your doorstep at the time selected by you. Your sample is safely transported at the optimal temperature to our NABL accredited and ICMR approved lab. The results will be delivered to you faster too!